Monday, October 24, 2011

David out of Valencia, Return at the Davis Cup Final

Finally, there is news. But it's not good news...
Here's the article, fresh in from the Argentine news agency Telam:
David Nalbandian has decided not to play any further tournaments this year in order to recover from a strained left hamstring and to prepare for the Davis Cup final in the best possible way.

This is what his spokesman Bernardo Ballero told Telam.

After a series of tests in Barcelona with his personal doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro it was found that David Nalbandian has suffered a strain in his left hamstring.

Therefore the player and his team have decided that it's better for him not to contest the Valencia Open 500 next week.

Nalbandian suffered the injury competing at the If Stockholm Open, playing against the Croat Ivan Dodig and because of it he had to withdraw from that tournament and also from the St. Petersburg Open this week.

Nalbandian is scheduled to return to Argentina, in order to continue his rehabilitation and also to train on clay for playing the Davis Cup final in Sevilla, on December 2-4.

"I'm very sad about what has happened to me. I was playing at a high level but as a precaution we have decided not to take any risks to be in top condition for the Davis Cup," David said.

28 comments:

  1. Season to forget for now,but all can be erased and turned into a good one if the DC can be won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is anybody surprised? Hope it leads to a DC win so David can become a normal tennis player next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be, wouldn't it? He'd probably have better tournament results if his obsession was satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant - in general. You can say all kinds of things about David. But he's never really been a normal tennis player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have the feeling any more that David will have a normal season in his rest of career and come back to top 10 tough it is possible. But everything will depend on how badly and how many times he will get injured in future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad news. So much for all those tournaments on the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing is clear, he won't be a commitment player next season. It'll be interesting to see if that (and his ranking) will have an effect on his schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be extreamly difficult to beat nadal and ferrer after another long injury break. The Davis cup final is still far away!The only chance that nadal will be tired after London.But this is only a slight chance because Nadal is not playing until paris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesnt need to beat Nadal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trying to beat Ferru on clay will be difficult enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The final is played on clay, so it means long rallies, and I wonder if Nalby could have the strength to handle that. He also did not play one match on clay since (April?) last year.

    I think it is actually good he is not in the commitment list next year, as he has no chance in the Master series. It is better to play in the small tournaments so he has more match practice.

    I also wonder if he doesn't play enough because he is injured, but the opposite could also be true - he is injured because he does not play enough!

    If he could not defend the finalist point in January 2012, then he would drop out of top 100.

    Let's hope a miracle would happen and he will do well to win Davis Cup. I hope he and Del Potro will both beat Ferrer, and then the team will win the doubles match...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a while since he last played on clay - but not that long. His last match on it took place in March, this year (DC R1).

    In terms of Masters events, being a commitment player only means you have to play those where you make the main draw. I was thinking more about the 500s, where he won't be guaranteed a place in the draw anymore. So far, David has always preferred playing bigger events. Is that going to change, will it have to change - we'll see.

    Anyway, it's not certain that he'll drop out of the Top100, even if he doesn't gain a single point until after Auckland.

    But how is he supposed to play more when the reasons for those pauses are injuries? You think he should play injured? I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If he cant play one 5 set match on clay he has no business still being on tour.Better hang up the raquet then and call it a career.Hopefully Nadal and Ferrer come there tired and banged up after the long season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's clay. That makes it risky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know but really,its just one match,if he cant finish it,doesnt matter win or lose that it means hes so banged up theres not that much reason to continue imo.Anyways the main guy in the team is gonna be Del Potro,hes gonna have to have a magical 2 or even 3 days for Argentina to take the Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think he has shown in the past that he always finishes his matches in DC. Even with severe injuries - and that's also what I mean by 'risky'. But why do you think he'll play only one match?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think Delpo and Monaco go out first day.Delpo + somebody(maybe even David) second day.And if theres a need for a 5 rubber,David vs Ferrer.That only goes if Nadal and Ferrer are the singles for Spain,if Nadal pulls out I think David plays on day one,is out for the doubles and if again theres a need the ultimate 5 rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it'll be either two singles or doubles and singles for David.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You think there are gonna send him out against Nadal?I personally wouldnt do it,I think Delpo has a mini chance because he can do what Soderling did to Nadal,hit him of the court,go into God mode hit lines and overpower Nadal.David even playing his absolute best has no chance.Doubles I think Chela and Monaco just dont cut it.I saw Delpo playing doubles, hes pretty good.He has the serve and solid volleys.Should they use David as the number 2,Idk,but it would be magnificent them two taking the doubles.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If David plays the doubles it's going to be with Eduardo Schwank. Delpo will play singles. My opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So you think Tito isnt gonna call Chela?

    ReplyDelete
  22. He's going to nominate all five of them, David, Delpo, Pico, Chela and Edu - "because they all deserve to be there."

    ReplyDelete
  23. A famous Argentine journalist says 2012 will be Nalbandian's last season as a professional tennis player

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's what a new post on Fue Buena says.
    I was still trying to decide how to break those news here on VD.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting,I always thought its only 4 players allowed.About David retiring in 2012 I think it will have a lot to do with results and how the injuries work out.I think if all goes well he might give 2013 a shot,if it goes badly Im ok with 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The whole point is that this article says it's definitely going to be his last season.

    I'm going to write a post now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well ok,I understand what the post says haha.Im just saying my opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete