Tuesday, January 19, 2010
David accused of Assault
As La Voz (thanks, tennisace) and several other Argentine news sites report, Antonio Simes, a taxi driver from Córdoba, is accusing David of having attacked and physically assaulted him last night. He intends to press charges.
Simes told the media that he was driving two young men who were supposed to carry out construction work at David's place. Arriving there at around 9pm yesterday, Simes says that the men told him it was okay to simply enter David's property and that everybody was doing it, therefore he drove on towards the house. What happened next, according to Simes, is that despite his attempts to clarify the situation, "David, who was playing football nearby, opened the door of the car without a word, grabbed me by my shirt and wanted me to get out of the car. Luckily enough I was able to break free for a moment and call my colleagues over the radio. They got there quickly, as did the police."
Simes claims that David's attack left him with a torn shirt, scratch marks and some bruises. He says that David offered him three shirts as compensation but that his reply was he didn't need any shirts and that he would press charges, instead. Because, as Simes puts it, "I've been brutally attacked".
David on the other hand denies having so much as touched Simes and says he merely went over to him to inquire what he was doing on his property, wanting to make sure he was not a burglar or thief. "There's a 'private property' sign and a closed gate and this guy entered without permission, so we went over to see who he was. He told us that he had been driving some people to work here and we asked him to call the police because we left our phones in our cars and suddenly he goes and tells the police we're kidnapping and threatening him." David has confirmed that there's currently construction work going on at his place but said that the workers are not allowed to enter his property in their cars. "There was no violence, on the contrary. I told him that he can't drive on other people's property. But well, these days, people will do anything for two minutes of fame."
According to David, nothing happened and therefore Simes won't be able to provide evidence for his allegations. "I didn't touch him. If he has a torn shirt, scratches and bruises then he should show them. But he won't be able to press charges." Adding, "they were on my property and yet I'm the one, who's being blamed."
Walter Barreiro, Unquillo's police chief, has confirmed that "at 10pm [last night] we received a call from a taxi driver requiring police assistance, saying he was being attacked by three people, one of them David Nalbandian".
Simes said yesterday that he'd press charges first thing in the morning. Right now, there is no news as to whether he has done so by now. Only that, according to Barreiro, by 9am Simes hadn't shown up yet.
If you want to have a look at Antonio Simes and at David, getting interviewed about the incident (he's basically saying the same things again as in the quotes here), two short videos have by now been added to the La Voz article.
(Additional sources: Cadena 3, Diario Los Andes, NotiExpress)
According to a new article by La Voz (thanks, Anna), both sides are now pressing charges. David for breaking and entering and Simes for assault and battery. And it will be up to the "prosecutor's office to investigate the confused and unclear situation". While Fabian Farah, who's in charge of David's property, has had recorded that "a man in his 50s opened the gate and entered the property with his grey Peugeot 405 and that this man, identified as Antonio Simes, invaded David's property without any authorisation", Simes is now officially pressing charges against David for having "physically assaulted him on entering the premises".
(photos and montage: Cadena 3)
Posted by Julia at 1:54 PM